Saturday, May 22, 2004

Testosterone: blessing or curse??

I went to the Golden Nugget this morning surprisingly early. I don't use to get up early on weekends. Last night I had some drinks and when I came back home I just fell asleep until this morning. Of course I slept enough to get up early today and get breakfast at my favorite place without waiting an hour for a table.
And there we were. Having our omelets and bagels and that wonderful coffee. We started talking about movies and Matrix came up. We started discussing what went wrong with those sequels. My theory is that they simplely were not necessary. When you make a movie you think: "well, I have this wonderful story and we need to do a wonderful job with it which I already have in mind how to do". When you do a second part you think: "ok, we had this unbelievable blockbuster movie and we could get more money from it, just imagine that!". So the first time people is moved for the muses of art and the second (and sometimes also third or more) they are moved by ambition and this last one is not a good adviser all the time.
Then I started saying all the stuff that I hate from Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions. The point was always the excess of testosterone. Those extremely eternal car chasing in the highway (which we have seen in so many thousand of other movies). The thousand of machines all over the place, that actually it looked to me as a way to show off the money available to make a movie this time. I can almost imagine the directors of the movies: "Hey! Look at us now, and compare the first Matrix with this baby!! Who is George Lukas in comparison to us now!!" (You can add some nerd type of laugh after that thought and you will have the whole picture).
Why men have to do that type of things? Then it hit me. I heard a few weeks ago this show in the radio about Testosterone. The show is called "This American Life" and is transmitted on NPR every weekend.
You people should hear this kind of shows instead wasting time watching TV all the time.
The thing is that I had this theory. I must admit that I need some more research on it and more study to make my affirmations. Anyways, maybe, we should measure men's testosterone in some sort of routine examination like those that women have to go through every year. If a man has a testosterone level that could be harmful for the society and/or the world(this being evaluated among other factors that play a role in the social behavior) then he should have some of that testosterone removed. Not a big deal, just a little. Enough to allow us to get rid of things like Britney Spears, SUVs, car chasing, Nascar, bar fights, NRA and all that stuff that doesn't do anything but screw up this world. It would be like an Domino effect. We would have people that would spend more time enjoying life just like it is and trying to develop more social skills. We would end wars and would improve the environment by reducing the gas-emissions with smaller cars, since men wouldn't feel like the have to brag about how they have the biggest truck on the neighborhood.
This would be such a most wonderful place to live with a little less testosterone.
Do you want prove? Look at the state of our planet after thousand of years under male control. We need less testosterone around, seriously.

More interesting studies on the matter:

New Scientist - Too much testosterone blights social skills

No comments: