Thursday, September 23, 2004

Como Vai Voce

That is the title of a beautiful song. It’s in Portuguese but I still can understand most of what it says. The title means, “How are you?” and of course it’s a love song. The version I’m listening to it’s mostly acoustic guitar and some violins on the background. I can also hear some electronic sounds but I can barely notice them.
I love music from other countries. I love music in French, Portuguese, Italian and any other language. That is the way I learnt my English that although it’s not perfect, it’s not bad either.
One of the things that surprised me most of USA is the little that they know of world music. I mean, I grew up listening Rita Pavone, Edith Piaf, Salvatore Adamo, Nicola Di Bari, Charles Aznavour, etc. but here, in a place with 100 times more people than in my country, nobody seems to know who is any of those singers. It’s kind of sad because it’s hard to know what is going on in the rest of the world regarding to music if nobody is interested in anything but songs in English.
In my last visit to my native country my sisters made me catch up with a lot of international music that was really interesting. I bought a few CDs and one that I specially liked was from a French band called Holden. Down there you can hear all kind of diverse music on the radio. It’s not so limited like the radio stations in USA. Here you have a radio station for country music, other for pop, another for jazz and so on. Down there it doesn’t matter what radio station you are listening to. The only difference between selections might be that some radio stations only play vintage music in Spanish and others play music from any part of the planet without caring about the language as long as it is pop music.
I still find hard to believe that in a country so full of immigrants like this there is so little noise from other cultures.
Maybe it’s just this Midwest bubble that I’m lost in.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Como vai voce!!

Oa....sipo...tan lindas las canciones, gracias al gentil auspiciod e su hermana menor que le grabó musica pa ke llevara....tan lindas las canciones en portugués...ami me gustan, después de todo la misma sangre corre por nuestras venas....

Espero que vuelvas a cantar, tai mala pal canto, antes parecías no callar nunca...weno, debo decir que cuando te fuiste eché demenos tus canciones tristes y tu guitarra,a demás no tengoa quien hacerle los coros..la Mabel es tan mala pa cantar!pero weno , le hace empeño
Un besito que estís bien
tu hermanita que te quiere muuuuuuuucho
Maciel

Crazy Watching Neighbor said...

:P
supongo que tengo que practicar mas con mi guitarra
es que esto de estar casada cambia tantas cosas!!
:(
antes como andaba sola podia hacer lo que se me antojara a la hora que se me antojara, como a nadie le importaba...
Pero ahora como tengo compañia siempre pienso en hacer coasa en conjunto, de a dos.
No se si me entiendes

Anonymous said...

si te entiendo....hermanita mia de mi corazon...
toy enojá porque un gringo me insultó gratis en un blog..asi que lo mandé a freir monos al africa

Vagonauta said...

you bought l'arriere monde???... damn, i've tried for a few years to get a hold of that album and never had the right juncture of time, money and willpower.

There are some things you cannot find in bittorrent..

I didn't had the chance to meet you when you came to Chile, and I really wanted to. But by reading your blog, and from what I hear all the time from your little sis, I got to think you're swell! (Is that spelled correctly?) .

My condolences on the death of your grandfather in law, I understand how must it hurt, and I hope you start feeling better eventually