Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Foreigner

Yesterday I did something I've been wanting to do for quite a while.
I went ahead and created a blog in my native language oriented to people from my country where I intend to discuss politics and culture.
However, the strangest and weird thing happened. I found myself almost incapable to post. I realize I know almost nothing about my country on these days. So I went ahead and looked for bloggers from my land and then another strange thing happened.
I was unable to relate to any of their thoughts. Their were talking my language mentioning places, people, things I knew from heart better than anyone, but they felt so unrelated to me. Like if they were thing I knew but did not belong to me anymore. Even the language that always was my pride and my love, was not part of me like it used to be. The words were stuck in my brain uncapable to come out.
This is one of the saddest things ever.
When you become a visitor in your own land.

2 comments:

gelitas said...

What a strange feeling that must be!!

gelitas said...

You know I thought about this more and I think this is just evidence of how American you are becoming --and the lack of travel you've been doing.

I think since we are geographically isolated from people in other countries it sometimes seems like they don't exist. I know when I was traveling more I didn't feel this way.

Lately I feel more disconnected from the world to...despite my students and my avid NPR listening.