Tuesday, July 20, 2004

It's raining blogs!!!

My youngest sister sent me an email inviting me to check into this blog. It's funny because now it feels kind of strange to read in spanish again. Actually I have developed a sort  of aversion towards spanish and is not because I don't like spanish, I love my native language and I am the kind of person that thinks that Spanish language is a miracle of civilization, so rich and wonderful that it can't be compared to any other language.  The problem is that everytime I read something in spanish is so full of mexican or caribean slang that I don't feel familiar with it. So in some way I don't feel a part of this.
 
I just bought a book called "The other history of the United States" from Zinn. Very interesting. I bought it because I was looking a book to learn more about the history of this country. I believe it's my duty to learn about the land where I am living in.  Also I need to learn about the constitution of this country so I can better understand it. I read a little bit of it some days ago and It's very interesting to understand and see how some people interpret the amendments.
 
And also I have to admitt that I would love to embarrase some people by knowing about their history better than themselves, the same way that I love embarrase some of my own people of my country by having my husband knowing how to dance the national dance better than them.
Am I too evil??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ezo ez por-ke no zaven ezkrivir en ezpagnol...

Son todos unos pinches wey's, no les des bola...

Vagonauta said...

It's difficult to relate to other latin american's, altough we speak the same language, our cultural differences are vast. The fact that you came from Chile sepparates you a little from the rest of the inmigrants, you share more a common background with the gringos and their Mc Donald's than with caribbeans and their fried bananas or their cool and relaxed way of life.
I think the weather has something to do with it all... and the fact that we've been influenced by northern american culture since ever (we are in the same geopolitical axis, and even during Gabriel Gonzales VIdela's government we were paid to stay in that axis, not to mention American funding to the 73' coup de etát...)
We are not as cold and unsensitive as most americans (as an example, "My big fat greek weedding", I bet you thought - There's nothing great about this movie, it's just like my home country... why do they get so excited to see an average family?), but we are not merely as fun or easygoing as caribbean inhabitans.
I think someday, most of this cultural differences won't matter, your marriage being proof of that, in the end we're more alike than we think.
But after all, the carribbean is much more fun than the US, or Chile. And I still don't know how to dance cueca.

P.S. Excuse my writing, if I misspelled something is due to lack of use (or the correct use) of the language :D

Crazy Watching Neighbor said...

I don't think that caribean are more fun than chileans. To be honest I never found them very fun at all, with exception of dancing there aren't many things that appeal to me from them. Maybe I should research more about that issue. I've laughed more with chileans. We have this obssesion with eufemisms that make us unique. Also I strongly believe that the fact that we have been isolated during so many centuries cultural, economic and geographically, has created some sort of unique mark on us. People in Chile live their lives looking at what is being done beyond their borders and that is terrible because as a culture we have a lot more to offer that what we actually do due to the fact that we don't stop to look at our own good posessions. But not all of that is a disadvantage. That same problem makes us consious that we aren't the center of the world and makes us aware of the reality in different places and we are open to cultural exchange. That is not a reality that you can appreciate often here.
By the way: I don't hang out with anyone at McDonalds for a matter of principles, and also some of health issues. I don't believe on McDonalds and I think that the clown is horrible (It reminds me that movie "It"). I promissed to myself never step into the Golden archs. Also I never shop at Walmart because of their culture about women and because they don't allow their employees to have unions, ah! and also because their destroy the small business wherever they go and become a monopoly.
Your english is pretty good. Is it spoken as good as it is written?

Vagonauta said...

Thanks, though I hope to speak better than I write. But in the end, I don't know... I've had some issues regarding my gramar, but none about my vocabulary, I owe it all to cable and the internet.


* I've heard that Wallmart is going to buy a percentage of "Lider"... now there's a "lider" or "lider vecino" almost every five blocks. Their politics about employees are as bad as Walmarts, so maybe we'll have some walmarts here...
myself I prefer Walgreens... but I don't know about their employee policy. It's just because it's open 24/7 (an utopic though for Chile, for now)